Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Bee is not so Buzzy for Homechoolers

I homeschool at an average of 2 hours a day. If you count in those teachable moments which can happen as often as we're together, then it's so much more than that. What I love about homeschooling is that it's so flexible and it really targets Mikel's specific needs. They say you are your child's best teacher. And of course you know and love your child more than anybody does.

We can be at a mall and be learning about grocery prices and money. There's also always a chance for him to interact with different people not necessarily kids his age but vendors, waiters, baggers, cashiers, etc. I just love that I don't have to bring him so far to get that experience. But it won't hurt if we did go far, with all the savings we made from not putting him in regular school. Say, Beijing or Bangkok for some cultural exploration. 

Honestly speaking, I've thought about enrolling him in regular school. And though God has blessed us with the finances, I felt He was really calling me to do this for my son. We went to two schools and they both said he is quite advanced for his age. You see, he started reading at 3 years old. Now he can read texts that are meant for kids in grade one. And he spells like a 7 year old as well. This is according to one of the teachers.

Although academically bright, I know Mikel needs so much support, emotionally. He still is quite the preschooler that he is: moody, active, loud, adventurous and utterly persistent (or in tagalog, "makulit"). That is not to say that those aren't good traits. They in fact can be beneficial. His mood swings and loudness warn me that I may not be engaging him well enough or he is not getting enough rest and sleep. If it gets too much then it tells me he needs a PEP talk. I'm just glad to be involved in disciplining my own child. 

Mikel is so active and adventurous, he can run around like a monkey. It's totally alright until I become the tree and my arms and legs are the branches. Again, this is a reminder that I need to get him into something physical like sports or exercise which again could involve some money, but remember we saved so much by homeschooling. Thus, we are free to choose. So we chose soccer for him. I just pray he likes it. 




He is also enrolled into two other special classes right now which we can afford to do with all the savings we made. He in fact will be socializing more than he would be in a regular school with all the hours spent in those classes. Mikel is utterly persistent about things he want to do but I know how to handle that now. He reasons out like a teenager to get his point across. I actually find it funny most of the time but I try my best not to show it. He usually gives in to what I tell him to do after much discussion. It doesn't mean that he won't try to ask me again next time. Like asking that we include Timezone in his weekly schedule and add more hours to playing Angry Birds, every chance he gets. This quality just tells me he won't be easily bullied in the future and he exactly knows what he wants from life. He seem to never give up. 

On top of all this I get to share my faith with my son and hopefully impart the joy in having Jesus in my life. Once we were at Bonifacio high street and it rained so badly that we couldn't get to the open parking lot, as we didn't bring an umbrella. He was shouting and telling the rain to stop. I told him to try to pray to Jesus instead. I told him about the passage when Jesus stopped the storm in front of his disciples. In my mind I was praying to God to just give me a window of no rain so I could go to the car and pick them up after. It was probably the first time Mikel had prayed for something as big as that and it would certainly build his faith. In less than ten minutes the rain stopped. I got the car and picked up Mikel and my sister from the covered area. Then, it started raining again. There was a typhoon that night. Mikel told me,  "Mommy, Jesus stopped the rain so we could go in the car". I almost cried, tears of joy. 

I may be so biased in saying all this. I love homeschooling but there are certainly struggles too, like anything new.  And really homeschooling is not for everyone. But if you feel that you are called to do this, don't be afraid. God is with you in all this. After all, you can never do it alone. There are so many homeschoolers and they can help you too. Get connected and seek advice. Have fun and cherish every moment.  =)

Happy Homeschooling Folks!


Aiyi


P.S. 
Special classes are free at VCIS Homeschool. If you want to know more please call Victory at 8171212. 

No comments:

Post a Comment