Friday, August 26, 2011

Videos and Games for homeschool

I personally do not like my son spending so much time using the internet or even just watching videos or TV. Here are things I go by so I'm assured he's not too media soaked:




1) He only should use 20% of his waking hours on media during weekdays. And only a maximum of 30% on weekends.


2) Media goes after more important things like lessons and special classes.


3) I choose the sites he goes to and he can never use the computer without any qualified adult. In our case, his dad and me. Yaya is not very much knowledgeable in the internet but is getting there.


4) If my son is not behaving well, we make sure we don't use the computer as a tool to make him follow requests. I believe this will only encourage more unfavorable behavior in the future.


5) I make sure that media plays an important role in his cognitive development by making sure I select the videos well and make sure they are all educational. As for movies, I try to research if not watch them ahead.


6) Mental games that he play should particularly target on one or more cognitive skills and should not just be plain fun. Otherwise, he should just go and play other things physically.


Media is a great instrument in my homeschooling with Mikel and it is my desire that he too will be as equipped in IT as we are or even better. I try my best to pick what is good and age appropriate at all times.


Here are some sites for games and some fruitful content:


http://www.coolmath-games.com/


http://www.primarygames.com/math.htm


http://kids.discovery.com/


Here are some videos he likes to watch:


Little Einstein



Backyardigans


Flying House


Super Book


Mickey Mouse Clubhouse


My Friends Tigger & Pooh


Dora


Barney
the-backyardigans.jpg30424.jpg flying_house.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment